#1 EmilyFisher

EmilyFisher

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hi folks,
I was just reading the post about feeding chicken to birds, then it kind of drifted into a discussion about PETA... while it was kind of interesting, I've decided to with hold comment on that, and thought I'd start a new thread to ask this question. It seemed weird to post something about chicken in the other thread, considering the topic had drifted, haha

I'm wondering if your birds are eating cooked or raw bones. I'm coming at this from a perspective of a dog owner feeding a raw diet where poultry bones are safe fed raw, but of course never cooked. If fed cooked, they will splinter and have potential to seriously harm a dog.

(A note to whoever posted in the other thread relating it to dogs... actually, most dogs will do better eating the smaller bones, given that they don't swallow them whole. The larger, weight-bearing bones (thigh, etc) are a lot more difficult to chew and digest - typically the neck, back, ribcage, and wings are the easiest on them).

If they are fed cooked, what is the potential of injury? I notice someone mentioned that their birds only cracked the bones to eat the marrow, and someone mentioned crop damage, which is what I'd be worried about. However, birds probably don't have the digestive capacity to eat raw...?

#2 chapala

chapala

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1578 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

Parrots' digestive systems, very different from dogs, cannot handle the bacteria in raw meat and any raw animal products should never be fed. Some people choose to feed cooked chicken bones to their birds. The birds crack the bones and eat the marrow, and any meat clinging to the bone. I have heard a number of stories of birds ending up at the vet because of sharp bone pieces causing damage to their insides. Personally I have chosen not to feed bones to the birds. They really don't need animal protein if you're feeding a good balanced diet with complete protein (2 parts grain to one part legumes, also seeds and nuts contribute more amino acids). One wildlife nutritionist (a PhD) says that animal protein causes health problems in parrots, that they are not equipped to deal with diets that include animal protein.
Reta
Kali, Grey bird

#3 EmilyFisher

EmilyFisher

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:15 AM

Yes, that's what I would have figured. Birds are pretty delicate in a lot of ways. I actually wasn't aware that offering bone was an option, though I would also be afraid of the splintering. Luckly, my cockatiel's tiny beaks probably wouldn't make much of a bone in any case, so I don't have to worry about it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users