29 replies to this topic

#21 Beautiful Bird Rescue

Beautiful Bird Rescue

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

When not sure test :cool2: the item with a lead test kit. They are little tubes that you swab the item with, if it turns red there is lead present. These kits can be picked up in any hardware store ($10. ?). Just because it is a bird toy does not mean it is safe. Any item from another country or made before the new safe laws are questionable.

#22 Teejay24

Teejay24

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

Does anyone know if pet toys are tested in the US?

It would be rare for them to be tested in the UK and as far as I am aware it is not mandatory.

With mine I tend to stick to the food coloured toys when buying from pet shops, but even then wooden toys won't have been tested for formaldehyde or PCP.

The lead test kits are not reliable really, and would only give an indication if maybe a very high lead content was present in some materials. The toy test is by far the best and also looks for migration of other elements - Chromium, Barium, Cadmium, Arsenic, Mercury, Selenium and Antimony. However this test is expensive both in the UK and US and in the UK only childrens toys have to comply.

Its scary really, its highly unlikely pet toys are tested for anything, we rely on the manufacturers of these items to research their materials before starting and yet pets are so much more likely to chew and ingest their toys then children. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yoshi (Rosella), Jojo (Rosella), Ethal (Cockatiel), Arthur (Cockatiel), Smee (Bearded Dragon), Duggy (Cat), Mia (Cat), Pablo (Cat), Chubbs (Roborovski Hamster).

#23 pineview01

pineview01

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

Surpriser42...you are a goldmine of good tips. I wouldn't have ever thought of horse leads even though I've worked with horses for years. Duh...

I make my own lead ropes for the horses. I buy the roll of cotton rope from TSC and hardware and put them togeather myself.
1st there was Stewy the 'teil:i.opl: followed by Sky-male B&G:macaw:
Then a home was needed for Cody-male U2:i.batan: & Newton-male OWA:i.ao:
After a long break I retiered and started reading CL-so many broken birds needing homes; Merlin-male M2:i.kuruma: Buddy/Don Juan-male YNA:i.kieri:, Kona-male GW:i.beni: & now Newly adopted-Ping-female OWA:i.ao:

R.I.P Stellia, BFA :i.ao:(a Petco casualty.) Rocky-male U2:i.batan:(mutilator), Pong-male OWA:i.ao:(~30) over the rainbow bridge

#24 lotus15

lotus15

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:25 AM

When not sure test :cool2: the item with a lead test kit. They are little tubes that you swab the item with, if it turns red there is lead present. These kits can be picked up in any hardware store ($10. ?). Just because it is a bird toy does not mean it is safe. Any item from another country or made before the new safe laws are questionable.

Does anyone know if pet toys are tested in the US?

It would be rare for them to be tested in the UK and as far as I am aware it is not mandatory.

With mine I tend to stick to the food coloured toys when buying from pet shops, but even then wooden toys won't have been tested for formaldehyde or PCP.

The lead test kits are not reliable really, and would only give an indication if maybe a very high lead content was present in some materials. The toy test is by far the best and also looks for migration of other elements - Chromium, Barium, Cadmium, Arsenic, Mercury, Selenium and Antimony. However this test is expensive both in the UK and US and in the UK only childrens toys have to comply.

Its scary really, its highly unlikely pet toys are tested for anything, we rely on the manufacturers of these items to research their materials before starting and yet pets are so much more likely to chew and ingest their toys then children. :)

I agree about lead test kits. I know many people who have gotten the home test kits and found their toys/cages "safe," only to send them to professional labs and find out that they had incredibly high levels of lead and/or zinc.

I also agree about it being scary... and no, I don't believe pet toys in the US are tested for safety. I am a huge worrywart and these things make me nuts :(

#25 supriser42

supriser42

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:31 AM

I make my own lead ropes for the horses. I buy the roll of cotton rope from TSC and hardware and put them togeather myself.

Cool! Is the rope cheaper that way or do I have to buy large quantities? Most places I have seen, have this rope, but for the best price I have to buy 100 ft or more.

"Never Tell Your Password To Your Parrot"

Posted Image

My Flock Of Feathers

I Make Bird Toys

#26 pineview01

pineview01

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:28 AM

Cool! Is the rope cheaper that way or do I have to buy large quantities? Most places I have seen, have this rope, but for the best price I have to buy 100 ft or more.

I'll have to double check. I know the "best" price is 100ft. But, I know the rope and hardware was lest than buying the leads.
1st there was Stewy the 'teil:i.opl: followed by Sky-male B&G:macaw:
Then a home was needed for Cody-male U2:i.batan: & Newton-male OWA:i.ao:
After a long break I retiered and started reading CL-so many broken birds needing homes; Merlin-male M2:i.kuruma: Buddy/Don Juan-male YNA:i.kieri:, Kona-male GW:i.beni: & now Newly adopted-Ping-female OWA:i.ao:

R.I.P Stellia, BFA :i.ao:(a Petco casualty.) Rocky-male U2:i.batan:(mutilator), Pong-male OWA:i.ao:(~30) over the rainbow bridge

#27 Teejay24

Teejay24

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

I agree about lead test kits. I know many people who have gotten the home test kits and found their toys/cages "safe," only to send them to professional labs and find out that they had incredibly high levels of lead and/or zinc.

I also agree about it being scary... and no, I don't believe pet toys in the US are tested for safety. I am a huge worrywart and these things make me nuts :(

Im the same, Ive taken to buying baby toys for the birds, our local store must think I have a few small children. :)
Only problem with childrens toys is assessing whether the birds will get their heads stuck, Its never simple.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yoshi (Rosella), Jojo (Rosella), Ethal (Cockatiel), Arthur (Cockatiel), Smee (Bearded Dragon), Duggy (Cat), Mia (Cat), Pablo (Cat), Chubbs (Roborovski Hamster).

#28 lotus15

lotus15

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

Prevue from ALL PET FURNITURE cages 100% MADE IN USA They have a website Dog Beds, Dog Houses, Kennels, Cat Furniture, Pet Strollers, & Pet Furniture: I think.

Wow, I did not know that. Very good to know. I was turned off by them originally because I hate their "Featherstone Heights" line of small bird cages... I find them absurd... and wasn't pleased with the quality of one of their cheap flights, but I will look into their more heavy duty ones. Do you house all of your birds in Prevue cages?

I just emailed them and they told me unfortunately that almost all of their cages are made in China. They said a few (limited) are made in the USA and they are getting back to me on which ones specifically those are.

#29 supriser42

supriser42

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:32 AM

I just emailed them and they told me unfortunately that almost all of their cages are made in China. They said a few (limited) are made in the USA and they are getting back to me on which ones specifically those are.

Hmmm....I must have gotten one of the few made in the USA, cause it said so in BIG BOLD letters on the box. I didn't mean to mislead anyone, I just figured they were all made in USA, since I got one. My apology.

"Never Tell Your Password To Your Parrot"

Posted Image

My Flock Of Feathers

I Make Bird Toys

#30 lotus15

lotus15

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

Hmmm....I must have gotten one of the few made in the USA, cause it said so in BIG BOLD letters on the box. I didn't mean to mislead anyone, I just figured they were all made in USA, since I got one. My apology.

No worries at all, I understand that many cage companies have only begun outsourcing in the past few years. A sales rep sent me a list of cages made in the USA and unfortunately they are only the Featherstone Heights line or the small bird "kit" cages... no parrot-appropriate cages :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users