14 replies to this topic

#1 PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:23 AM

Ok. I've decided to get serious about toy making and start buying lumber and cutting my own pieces. The fids are costing me a fortune in toy parts. I'm also going to order the pieces to repair some manzanita stands myself. And I want to make them some toys out of stainless steel flatware so I have to be able to drill a hole in it.

I plan to buy one of those cordless drills and a saw and two saw horses. My question is, is there anything between a jig saw and the big round ones (skil saw?) that will get the job done? The big ones look pretty scary to me.:scared: I guess I could cut soft pine with a jig saw but I'm not sure. I doubt it would cut manzanita though or maybe it would? I hope to get some advice before I go into Home Depot and try talking to the tool guys. The guys that work at the HD near me are not exactly helpful. Or even civil.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
Loki :i.beni:
Ziggy :macaw:
Toby :macaw:
Sidney Triton :i.batan:

#2 iluvsunconure

iluvsunconure

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1749 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:45 AM

I think the jig saw would be fine. I like HD, they almost everytime I go there, I find what I need. (pvc pipes/connectors)

#3 sailorkelly

sailorkelly

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 7227 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:49 AM

My husband is getting a drill for his birthday lol... it is really for him to drive holes in stuff for Abbey lol

Posted Image

Abbey - Peach Fronted Conure
Koko - Jardine Parrot
Sonnie - Lhasa Apso
Kitty - Cat
Skipper - Beta

#4 maggy

maggy

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

The jigsaw is OK for up to a certain size..beyond that you may need a circular saw, this will cut really hard wood also. However a jigsaw will cut funny shapes..a circular saw won't. As for the hardwareshop...no help..no sale!

#5 chinniechantel

chinniechantel

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Jigsaws are much harder to use, you need a lot more strength. We use a lot of apple and pecan wood for the chinchillas, so we need something stronger. You really do need a circular saw, we are buying one too, the jigsaw is even hard for my husband, and he is very strong! We have a great drill, and we do make our own toy parts. We sell parts for our chinchilla customers too, and I love to make my own stuff for the birds. We use vitacritter dye, there is nothing that compares to that.
Posted Image

#6 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 4015 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Let me suggest an 18 volt cordless drill. they make a 12volt look like a toy. hold a 12 volt in 1 hand, and an 18 in the other, hit the trigger, you'll feel the power, and speed diff.:ywink:
TIKI - SUN CONURE, ♂, hatched 3-9-6
PEEPY (FORMERLY SKY) - BLUE PACIFIC PARROTLET, ♀, hatched 7-7-7
RUBY - GREEN WINGED MACAW, ♀, hatched 8-22-7
('>
/))
/""
I'M BUD, ♂, hatched 5-7-48

#7 PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:40 PM

Bud, thanks for the info on the drill. I wasn't sure about the size on that either. I'm going to get the one you suggested. I guess I'll take the plunge and get the big saw. Maybe later, if I don't cut my arm off, I'll be creative and do shapes. If I disappear from Bird Board y'all call 911. I'm out in the yard bleeding.

Tell Miss Abby that she's lucky to have a nice dad to poke holes in her toys for her.

Can I order VitaCritter dye online? I do want to dye the parts. Probably more for me than the birds.

Any further advice is always welcome!

#8 chinniechantel

chinniechantel

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

Michelle on this board sells the vitacritter. Her name is Fortheloveofbirds I think.
Posted Image

#9 supriser42

supriser42

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:57 AM

May I suggest, if you are going to be cutting a lot of blocks, try getting an electric miter saw. I use the 10 inch. It will speed up the cutting process and save a finger or two. An 18 volt cordless drill works great for drilling the holes, just keep an extra battery on the charger....LOL

Posted Image
miter saw

"Never Tell Your Password To Your Parrot"

Posted Image

My Flock Of Feathers

I Make Bird Toys

#10 PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:49 AM

Hey, now that looks kind of cool. I guess you just push the wood and move the saw up and down? I'll bet it's expensive but I will be cutting a lot of wood. Four big birds can eat through a lot of toys in a hurry.

There are a few little household fix-er-upper things I would do if I knew how to use a saw. Like putting up crown molding. I'm good with paint and stain and I can use a hammer but I've never used a saw. Can you set that saw to cut at an angle?

#11 supriser42

supriser42

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hey, now that looks kind of cool. I guess you just push the wood and move the saw up and down? I'll bet it's expensive but I will be cutting a lot of wood. Four big birds can eat through a lot of toys in a hurry.

There are a few little household fix-er-upper things I would do if I knew how to use a saw. Like putting up crown molding. I'm good with paint and stain and I can use a hammer but I've never used a saw. Can you set that saw to cut at an angle?

It is not all that expensive, a new Ryobi 10" miter saw will run around $100 or so at Home Depot. And, yes you can cut angles and it does work great for crown molding & any kind of trim. I bought a used one for around $60 and works just as good as a new one. We have two macaws and two umbrella cockatoos and several other fids. WE GO THROUGH 2X2'S AND 2X4'S LIKE CRAZY, but than again I sell bird toys as well.

Posted Image

My Flock Of Feathers

I Make Bird Toys

#12 PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:10 AM

I think that might be a good idea. I'll have to find someone to give me a lesson on how to use it but I can probably do that. I'm spending a small fortune on toy parts. I'm not even sure at this point that I'm saving that much money by making them myself because the pre-cut wood shapes are expensive. And if I can learn to cut the molding myself I can for sure stain and hang it. I'm kind of excited about this now.:taz: Thanks everyone for your help!

#13 supriser42

supriser42

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:18 AM

You are quite welcome. :thumbup1: :icon_biggrin:

Posted Image

My Flock Of Feathers

I Make Bird Toys

#14 BouncingCockatoo

BouncingCockatoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

I would go for the miter saw. I use a 12 inch one. Making bird toys is just a bonus of having it. The 10 inch would be perfect for what your are buying it for. If you have a Harbor Freight Tools store close by go there. They have great prices on them. That is where mine is from. I can cut up a 2x4 in no time with it.

Troy

#15 supriser42

supriser42

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:19 AM

I think that might be a good idea. I'll have to find someone to give me a lesson on how to use it but I can probably do that. I'm spending a small fortune on toy parts. I'm not even sure at this point that I'm saving that much money by making them myself because the pre-cut wood shapes are expensive. And if I can learn to cut the molding myself I can for sure stain and hang it. I'm kind of excited about this now.:taz: Thanks everyone for your help!

Well, it's been a couple of weeks now. I was wondering if you got your saw and if you are making progress? Please post an update. In the long run you will be saving some bucks.

Posted Image

My Flock Of Feathers

I Make Bird Toys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users