23 replies to this topic

#21 Buffalo Parrot

Buffalo Parrot

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Why? If we're making the bread ourselves and know exactly what we've put in it...

This is just my opinion but birdy bread is cooked. When cooking anything much of the nutrients in the ingredients will be lost. This is not to say that it does not have nutrition left in it just not much. It is still a good and fun snack. For main meals I try if at all possible to have raw ingredients. Some things like legumes, rice etc have to be cooked or soaked, and even some grains so you can't get around that. Like I said just my opinion and we all have the right to disagree:clover::halfsmile
Posted Image

#22 TielMama2010

TielMama2010

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

This is just my opinion but birdy bread is cooked. When cooking anything much of the nutrients in the ingredients will be lost. This is not to say that it does not have nutrition left in it just not much. It is still a good and fun snack. For main meals I try if at all possible to have raw ingredients. Some things like legumes, rice etc have to be cooked or soaked, and even some grains so you can't get around that. Like I said just my opinion and we all have the right to disagree:clover::halfsmile

LOL and thank god for that right as that's what makes the world so interesting!! I was honestly asking so I appreciate your answer. Thanks!
Our brownhead parrot baby coming home early July
Posted Image

(2) Society Finches~ Cutie Pie & Buster

(5) Zebra Finches~ Zeeb & Belle, Slick & Penny and Little Missy

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:o-gHblj29TMIQM:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vhBxPBEEpzg/ShugKUdQhGI/AAAAAAAAAkY/XiFAve9iocE/s320/Angel%2BSmiley.jpg[/IMG]Eddy our Society Angel (May '10)

#23 Buffalo Parrot

Buffalo Parrot

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Your Welcome! Today after slaving to put together my Corned Beef and Cabbage meal it was time to make up a small batch of Mash/Mush meal for the flock as our supplies were almost gone. I did not make my normal LARGE batch but what I call the lazy mash/mush because I do not yet have the $$$ for the large. I bought a bag of 10 grain organic hot cereal mix, 1 bag of organic muesli (spelled right?), some broken up Barilla Plus pasta, and some Kamut/Quinoa Pasta. Lately I have tried something different with grains and pasta. Instead of cooking I have been soaking them in hot water until all is absorbed. It all comes out soft and I don't have to cook it and loose more nutrients. I then added organic canned (sodium free) pureed pumpkin and whipped raw banana. Mixed that in and added a bunch of cut up veggies, fruits, greens, canned rinsed lentils, and black eyed peas. I am happy I figured to just soak the grains instead of cooking and loosing more nutrients! Not know why I did not think of that way back? I am done cooking for today!:001_unsure: I am Irish and it is now time to celebrate this grand day!!:17::clover::dance:
Posted Image

#24 missM

missM

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

No cornmeal ...do you have polenta? The course stuff should substitute well. Same taste and nutrit content.

Lol I found that out today, I wasn't aware that polenta was basicaly the same thing. Like I said, not much of a baker lol.I feel really silly now :blushing:

Thanks for everyones opinions. The bread was never going to be a staple in his diet, just a treat every now and then. And I am very glad I asked... I know what to do next time :14:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm in love :blushing:

"Many have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. We remain responsible forever for what we have tamed"
Antoine de Saint-Exupeny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users