Photo
- - - - -

Reasonable price for Kakariki in Aus? And more questions...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MMAnne

MMAnne

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hey all :) I am leaning towards buying a non-breeding pair of Kakarikis...Which brings me to my first question. Would two males be fine in a large indoor cage, or would they later get aggressive towards each other as they mature? I don't mind females if so, but would rather the two males.. I realize the species isn't popularly kept as a pet, but I've seen a few people here with them so hopefully they can lend me a hand!

Also, does $130 sound like a reasonable price (each) for a Kakariki in Perth. I have found one breeder, though I am still looking around. $130 sounds fine to me, but I don't want to be taken for a ride, either.

Thanks again! I'm finding this forum very helpful!
Michelle

#2 MMAnne

MMAnne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

http://www.kimani.co...s/BC031_med.jpg

This is the enclosure I am thinking of buying for them.

#3 Rahni

Rahni

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Probation
  • 1729 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi! It's probably to late for you to read this but I'll try and help anyway. $130 sounds reasonable to me, providing they are hand-raised. If they aren't hand-raised, then you are definitely being taken for a ride! Having said that, I'm sure you could get them cheaper, as they are not expensive birds in themselves, but for babies that have been well-raised by a good hand-feeder then I think that's perfectly acceptable. Also if that is from a shop, it will of course include a mark-up price.
There's no reason 2 boys wouldn't get along, particularly if you purchase them at the same time or within a reasonable period. They will grow up together and be buddies. You would only run in to potential problems if you have one for a lot longer then you have the other, the first one may be resentful of an intruder. It's hard to see the size of that cage but it looks acceptable. I personally find the squarer cages a bit more practical, just because you tend to get more space up top, which is where the birds will be 90% of the time!

#4 Patti J

Patti J

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Parent raised Kaks sell for around $40 here in SA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Solomon and Maria-RS/SI Eclectus
Loki-Blue Quaker
Grumpy-Alexandrine
Big Bird-Aus Raven
Princesses, Gcc's, Cockatiels, IRN's, Grass Parrots, Rainbow, Scaly Breasted, and Purple Crown Lorikeets, King Parrots, Moustache Parrots, Turqs.....

#5 MMAnne

MMAnne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies...I've since decided it's a very reasonable price...they seem to be very rare here in Perth especially hand-raised.

I have since purchased this cage for $400 and am VERY happy with it :) It's 2m long, and as mentioned it is a lot more practical than the other. I can't wait to start adding a few toys, etc!!

#6 Rahni

Rahni

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Probation
  • 1729 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

Wow that's a great cage! Good price too. It's so much fun decking out new cages! Hopefully you will have some birds to put in it soon too!

#7 Cod

Cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Kakarikis like to climb upside down so you are best getting a large flat top cage for them so they can do this. Kakarikis are very hyper birds and they need to burn there energy by having out time of there cage as well. My little guy is out 3-4hrs a day to burn all his energy. They also like to forage so I have his food on the bottom of the cage and newspaper under that so what he kicks out he can still eat. Also they love water and bath every single day so it is important to have a bathing dish as well as a seperate drinking water dish.

I should also mention that they are pretty messy due to kicking the food out technique. I changed the normal bowl in the cage to a small size plastic dog bowl. That way he can stand in the food and eat how he would in the wild on the ground. I also have another smaller bowl on the bottom of the cage which I put chopped up orange/apple and grapes.

Toys: They like foot toys and don't over do the hanging toys as they will climb around the outside of the cage alot and they may get tangled up.

All the best with your new Kaks.

Any questions just let me know :)

Edited by Cod, 18 April 2010 - 09:51 AM.

#8 Northern Budgie

Northern Budgie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

Hey, Cod, can you tell me what you mean by foot toys? We live in Yellowknife in Northern Canada and 'rescued' a red crested kakariki from a pet store here. He's not super keen on toys anyway - he's a mirror bird, always feeding his reflection, but he does zoom around and lands up high and yells at the top of his little lungs. He's a delight and we have a lot of fun with him. He was not hand tamed, but we've made great strides with him in the 18 months we've had him. He's about 2.

And by the way, we paid $500 for him and his cage, so I guess it's a relative thing. He's about as far away from New Zealand as he can get.

cheers,
jacki

#9 Rahni

Rahni

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Probation
  • 1729 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

Those small cat jingle balls with the bells in them are a great inexpensive foot toy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users