#1 spiritwolf46

spiritwolf46

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hello all!

I have a pair of p'lets that break their eggs every time they lay. I have given them a box twice in the past year and both times they have broken the eggs as she lays them.

They are in a bird room with other birds but I don't bother the nest box once they go in.

Any suggestions that you may have? Anyone else had this problem?

TIA!

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

Is there any way that you could replace the real eggs with fake eggs, then either have another pair incubate the eggs or artificially incubate them yourself, and right before hatching, replace the fake eggs with the real ones?
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 spiritwolf46

spiritwolf46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Is there any way that you could replace the real eggs with fake eggs, then either have another pair incubate the eggs or artificially incubate them yourself, and right before hatching, replace the fake eggs with the real ones?

I can sure try. :) I have English budgies on eggs right now and also lovebirds, so I could possibly put the eggs (if I can get to them quick enough) in there with them. I will try the plastic eggs on them as well to try to break them of this habit they have gotten into. SIGH! LOL My other pairs do really well, so this is a first for me.

Thank you SO much for your reply! I appreciate it! :)

#4 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

I've never had to deal with it myself, but that's what came to mind... that, or poking a hole in the eggs and filling them back up with mustard... which might just leave a mess when you put the mustard filled eggs back in....

I've also heard of using marbles in with the eggs, although I'm not sure how this is suposed to help if the parents are breaking the eggs with their mouths.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#5 spiritwolf46

spiritwolf46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

I wonder if the marbles would be there just for a deterrent, due to the marble being non breakable and may deter the birds from trying to break them any longer. Hmmmm.......that is also a good suggestion. This is the only pair that I have ever had that did this. I am scratching my head over this one, for sure. lol

Thank you again!

#6 xafsmom

xafsmom

On Hiatus!

• Members
  • 8464 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:18 AM

You didn't say how she's breaking them. Are they concussion breaks? If so, you might consider giving her a bigger nest box, like a boot box, so the parents don't trample the eggs as they go in and out of the box. If the parents are actively breaking and eating the eggs, you should watch and see which of the two is doing it. If it's the male, you might consider re-pairing them and use a different male. If it's the hen, then you should stick in fake eggs and remove the real ones for incubation or foster them off on another pair. After a while of trying to break the fake eggs, the hens usually give up and stop destroying the eggs. If they don't stop, then the best I can say is to foster out the eggs or incubate them artificially.

Taking a posting break! On Hiatus! If you need me directly for help or questions, email! Have fun guys!

Posted Image

Unweaned birds? Here ya go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users