• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DrDivine

DrDivine

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

Now, I know that having an outdoor at night cat might be considered a bad thing to some people, and I do agree on that with some of the risk, but today it happened again and I'm starting to think someone in the neighborhood really hates me. In my neighborhood, theres plenty of cats that walk about outside that belong to our fellow neighbors, theres even a family that allows his group of four toy fox terriers to roam the neighborhood, which I dont really like. I've had outdoor at night cats for over 12 years now and no problems, and this started occurring this year. My first cat Alex, I had for 8 years, and about 4 months ago she never came back and mysteriously dissipeared, and the animal control agency said that there was a possible it could have been a large hawk or a coyote, which I was bit skeptical about but I thought might be possible. Not even a week later, our other cat Crash, some home sunday morning with a missing foot, and after I took him to the hospital, I found what looked like a trap made out of razor wire in a public lot that was across the street, which I turned in to the police station because children also play in that lot and I dont want anyone getting hurt. I rescued a maine coon nobody wanted at the shelter about a month later, his name was Charlie, really nice cat, very friendly, but now he didnt come home too. And the worst part of this is, my cats are the only ones in the entire sub division that are getting hurt by these "mishaps", which irritates me as well. Because everyone else lets their cats roam the neighborhood and their declawed, and their toy fox terriers play in the street, yet nothing happens to anyones pets but mine. What do you think?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 xafsmom

xafsmom

On Hiatus!

• Members
  • 8464 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hard to say. I know some people target cats. They're destructive. They get let out at night, dig up other peoples flower beds to poop in them, they hunt wild birds when they nest and roost, they pee all over things when they spray. I've seen owls pick off full grown cats out here too, at night. So, while I hope no one is targeting your cats or any cats to hurt them, I also hope you stop making your neighborhood responsible for your pets. My guess? Your cat got whacked by a passing car and it's dead on the side of some road during it's nightly hunting travels. :(

Taking a posting break! On Hiatus! If you need me directly for help or questions, email! Have fun guys!

Posted Image

Unweaned birds? Here ya go.

#3 DrDivine

DrDivine

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

I keep telling my family to make them indoor cats, but they wont listen to me since our cats love to go outside and keep them up all night when their indoors. Our neighborhood as always been a pretty safe place, neighbors looking after eachother, but I have to admit, some of these new people in out block havent been the kindest of people. We did have a neighbor that shot cats and dogs if they came on his property and buries the body in their backyard
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 agentbunny

agentbunny

Blessed by Birds

• Members
  • 1165 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

The safest cat is an indoor cat. I doubt anyone is targeting your cats specifically. They may be targeting cats in general and since you have many the likelihood of it being yours and not someone else's is greater. I know cats love to roam and hunt. I had a great cat who learned to use the doggy door and there was no stopping her from leaving. After a while, I gave her to my parents who could keep her indoors. She did not like it at first but got used to it quick enough and is fine now. Outdoor cats rarely have as long a life as they could.
-Ellina
Posted Image

#5 usakoinwonderland

usakoinwonderland

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

It could be suspicious but then again cats allowed outside have an average lifespan of 2-3 years. It could just be that the last 12 years you were lucky. There are the dangers of cars, predators such as hawks, dogs, animal control, someone could have taken in the cat and decided to keep it for themselves, the cat may have decided it didn't want to go back for one reason or another. It's really an endless list. What it comes down to is as long as they are allowed outside you are taking a risk, that's why my cats are all strictly indoor cats.

#6 nanmadpad

nanmadpad

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:49 AM

When cats roam loose they pose problems for others. I have parrots so i dont have cats, when my neighbors cats kept coming on my porch to get my parrots i told them i didnt want their cats on my property. Well after 5 times of finding them on my porch terrorizing my birds, you betha i got rid of them. No i didnt kill them, i found new homes for them.

#7 DrDivine

DrDivine

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

I guess your right, he was my responsibility and I probably killed him..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 birdgirl276

birdgirl276

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

I guess your right, he was my responsibility and I probably killed him..

No, you didn't kill him. I have had outdoor cats before (though I didn't leave them out at night). Two of my three cats lived long and happy lives. The third (a stray that came to me, so maybe she wasn't used to being outdoors?) didn't fare as well.

Keeping certain cats inside would be akin to keeping birds that are never allowed out of their cage. But I think it depends on the cat, the neighborhood, etc.

Maybe consider only letting your cats out during the day, when the dangers to predators is diminished?
Tricia

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 loyallyroyal

loyallyroyal

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2090 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

I think it depends on the cat, my one neighbors cat is very sweet and stays in their or my yard/house and doesnt wander off and comes home at night, but my neighbor on the other side had a cat that roamed everywhere and wouldnt come home at night and they eventually found it mauled by some kind of animal. Infact they have been through several cats that way.
Personally, I dont let my dogs roam off leash, and one day when I have room for a serval/hybrid or a scottish fold/munchkin mix I wont let it roam either, I would be to worried about it getting hit by a car, attacked by a cat, dog, or coyote and or stolen.

#10 charliebear22

charliebear22

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

have you considered an outdoor cat run? similar to a dog run, but made for the kitties. They are relatively easy to make (you can google various plans or just design your own), and it could be a nice compromise for your outdoor loving cats. put them in their run at night, they can't get out, predators can't get in, and everyone's happy. There are too many possibilites to consider when thinking of what may have happened to your cats. But it's obvious that you shouldn't be rescuing any more unless you have a plan to keep them safe somehow. I have adopted strays in the past, and they had to either stay indoors, or were leashed outside when we could keep an eye on them. We never let them out at night, just for this reason. It's hard for the first month, but they get used to it. I'm very sorry for your losses.
Current Household Headcount:
1 hubby, 2 children, 2 chameleons, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 Sun Conure, 1 TAG, 1 bearded dragon, 4 tree frogs, 1 anole, 1 grass lizard, 3 crested geckos, 2 Kenyan sand boas, and 7 freshwater fishtanks.
Welcome to the funny farm. Admission is $3 please.

#11 maggy

maggy

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:32 AM

I had a couple of losers rent the house next door to me one time, the woman proudly told me she hated cats and if any of mine went missing it was probly her...she said she put poisoned milk out to kill cats....with a deep love of animals and six cats (all but one walk ins abandoned by owners who abandoned them) I saw red. While she swaggered about on her patio looking smug and defiant, expecting outrage and a plea from me not to hurt my cats...I simply said in a quiet but firm voice..if any of my cats turns up injured or goes missing I will come over there and smash your face so your own mother won't recognise you...she went white and all the bluster went in a flash. Sometimes you have to stand up to bullies...and would I have done it...guess.

#12 DrDivine

DrDivine

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:03 PM

I've still been trying to find him but nothing, I've gotten some emails, but all the cats they turned into me werent him.

My other cat Crash is pretty lonely without him, I don't want to replace Charlie, but since Crash hates being an indoor cat now and moans alot, I'm thinking about getting him a new friend to play with him indoors. Are there any specific breeds that might do better as an indoor cat?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 loyallyroyal

loyallyroyal

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2090 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

here is a great little quiz that should help you out:
Animal Planet :: Guides :: Cat Breed Selector

Scottish folds are my personal faves. I really want one of these mixes:
YouTube - Scottish Fold Munchkin

#14 Teejay24

Teejay24

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

Wow, this is very differant to how we treat cats where I live in the UK. It would be considered very cruel to keep a cat indoors and very strange to provide a cat run or to tie a cat up with a leash. Ive got three cats and they come and go as they please.

I hope you find your cat soon and that nothing bad has happened to him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yoshi (Rosella), Jojo (Rosella), Ethal (Cockatiel), Arthur (Cockatiel), Smee (Bearded Dragon), Duggy (Cat), Mia (Cat), Pablo (Cat), Chubbs (Roborovski Hamster).

#15 JulzZoo

JulzZoo

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:07 AM

My cats all are indoor/outdoor cats. They are both 12-13 years old and going strong. My other cat was 19 when he passed away. They stay outside more than in but usually sleep inside at night in the winter. During the spring, summer and fall we usually barely see them except to eat! I doubt someone is targeting your cats but maybe something is out there killing them, a wild animal of some sort probably.

#16 perchingbird

perchingbird

Blessed by Birds

• Members
  • 1135 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

I think an outdoor cat run is a beautiful idea. :) It lets the kitties out, and keeps the songbirds safe.
Kitsune - Clandestine Happy Hutter.

[sigpic][/sigpic]
"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before." - Robert Lynd

#17 Antstorm

Antstorm

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

i never let my cats out at night 1. its illegal to do so where i live 2 i couldn't live with myself if they got lost
Posted Image

Xander "Lorikeet destroyer of planets and iPhone screens"

#18 Delia amethyst

Delia amethyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

My grandmother keep a big cat. He's 11 years old. He offen go out to play and even keep away from home for one or two week! But he's still healthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users