2 replies to this topic

#1 SuperIndy500

SuperIndy500

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

My husband and I have been considering another bird for a little over a year now. We have dabbled here and there with inquiries on some birds listed in classifieds and babies but nothing seemed very solid. Recently I found a listing for a male eclectus who needs some love. His mom was hospitalized for a week and he was left alone and the poor baby plucked all of his feathers out!! He looks like a little plucked chicken. Indy had plucked before we got her from the rescue but has since has improvement with feathers growing back in and has never plucked in our care. Im not really concerned about his feathers coming in or not, Im more concerned with introducing him into my family. I asked about his health and was told he was checked on by a vet tech and is eating fine, but I still have concerns beacuse from what I know parrots hide their illnesses. Ive also read that I should quarantine for 30-90 days and then introduce slowly after knowing properly that he has no parasites. Should I take him to a vet the first week I have him or should I wait a little after 30 days? Just wanted some more insight as to how I should introduce them and possible health problems I could keep an eye on. This is the first time I will be introducing any parrots to each other. We are not going to use them as breeders just cuddle buddies :icon_biggrin:

Would rescuing him be a good idea or should I leave him open to another family to rescue as i delve more into research?
Indy - Resident Brat; S.I Eclectus :ekfemale:
Sarge - Deployment Buddy Extraordinaire; Chow Mix :animal18:
Bruiser - Expert Manipulator; Rhodesian Ridgeback :animal18:

Joshua - Understanding Husband; Marine :38:

God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages. ~Jacques Deval

#2 sodakat

sodakat

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2292 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

Well, being checked on by a vet tech and having bloodwork done are two separate things. The goal of quarantine is to insure that the new bird does not bring a disease to your bird and vice versa. It's not so much parasites but infectous diseases that you are looking for. If you take him in you would want to ask your vet what to test for and how long to keep them separated. Realistically you cannot quarantine in a home with central air or heat though, so I personally think it's not worth doing. I know that people put one bird upstairs and another down and all that business, but airborne pathogens will easily travel throughout a house, on clothing and even on skin so you would have to take extreme measures to make sure nothing was passed between the birds. If he's been in the rescue a while and is not sick, he's probably fine. I'm willing to hear all the disagreement this statement brings, btw. Just my opinion.

If he plucked from frustration or stress of being left alone he may stop plucking when he's in another home. Who knows. I'm sure he'll be grateful for a new family that can love him like you can.

It looks like there may be a mirror in his cage and I don't see the advantage to that.

If you do bring him home, you might want to do a semi-quarantine as best you can where his cage is in another part of the house and he and Indi can get to know each other by calling out. They will become interested in each other that way and know there is another bird in the house.

I'd follow your vet's advice regarding quarantine, not mine, btw! :)

Kathy

Posted Image

#3 margy

margy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

I would get an Avian Vet. I took my bird to a vet that "knows all about birds" but found that he really did not. An avian vet well recommended is crucial or you can spend too much money trying to get answers. Years ago I bought a plucked cockatoo. The breeder said he came from a poor home and was not fed right. Well after taking him all over carnation, I found a good avian vet. Angel Memorial in Boston. He was diagnosed there with Psitticine Beak and Feather Disease and lived for about a year. We became very bonded. I hand fed him his food strained and and gave him an infrared heat lamp to keep him warm. He would do this little dance under it. He lived for a little over 1 year. He was a wild caught bird. It's a long story, a sad one but that bird taught me a lot. He was the most special 1st bird.
It certainly does not mean that your bird has this disease at all. (it is common in cockatoos) But just saying to get a good avian vet to work with you with him. It's wonderful that you want to help him.

Margy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Taja" my Cinnamon Green Cheek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users