5 replies to this topic

#1 Lorikeet

Lorikeet

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

Ok im planning on getting my first lory what one would you reccomend i have owned many parrots

#2 Rahni

Rahni

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Probation
  • 1729 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

Well it really depends on your living conditions, if you live in an apartment I wouldn't suggest one of the bigger guys due to noise! Also it depends on the size of cage you can accomodate, these guys need a lot of room and they utilise every square inch of their cages including the floor, so you need a bigger cage for a lorikeet then you would for another similar sized bird. The rainbow lorikeets are always great birds, there are a few different types such as green-nape, swainsons, red-collar, etc- any of these guys are great, and it doesn't matter which subspecies as they all have the same kind of personality. If you wanted one of the bigger guys you could always get a black lory or a chattering, or if you want a smaller bird you could get a perfect, scaley, goldies etc. My suggestion would be to get in touch with a few breeders and see what they have available.

#3 Lorikeet

Lorikeet

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

talked to a breeder (lories unlimited) www.lorywebsite.com and she has 10 blue mountain lories for sale

#4 SurfsUP

SurfsUP

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

The blue mountains or Swainson's are great lorikeets and full of personality. My first lorikeet was a Swainson's and I love them so much I got another but a Red-collared. One thing, they can be a little noisy at times for a bird that is just a tad bigger than a cockatiel, but these little guys are so full of character. My Swainson's is only 6 months old but has learned to whistle back at me and even talk or garbled a few words also. The Goldies are also a great first lorikeet as well and they are much quieter than the rainbows, but for some reason kinda hard to find here in the United States.

#5 SurfsUP

SurfsUP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

The blue mountains or Swainson's are great lorikeets and full of personality. My first lorikeet was a Swainson's and I love them so much I got another but a Red-collared. One thing, they can be a little noisy at times for a bird that is just a tad bigger than a cockatiel, but these little guys are so full of character. My Swainson's is only 6 months old but has learned to whistle back at me and even talk or garbled a few words also. The Goldies are also a great first lorikeet as well and they are much quieter than the rainbows, but for some reason kinda hard to find here in the United States.

#6 cydney

cydney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

I'd email breeders with different species and see what they say about the individual differences between the species. I've never heard a bad thing about a Goldies. They seem to be quieter and a bit more mellow than a lot of the other species. Perfects, Iris, Musk and Scalies are other good smaller choices. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than an HQ flight for one, though. They are ACTIVE!

Posted Image
Kai - Iris Lorikeet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users