5 replies to this topic

#1 becsta81

becsta81

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

I recently got a 7 month old quaker hen as a mate for my 4 1/2 year old cock bird i've had for 4 years. The hen is a real handfull and keeps attacking the male, i'm unsure if she's just playing or serious. The male is very gentle and really keen to preen and be near her but everytime he gets too close she dives for him and scares him away. I guess i just need some tips on how to get them liking each other. Are females usually so dominant? She has pretty much come in and taken over the place. They have been together for 4 weeks now, i keep them in seperate cages, although i get them out together a few hours a day. they don't seem to beak fight as much as they used to, but she still takes swipes at him when he turns his back. How long does this process take? will she settle down eventually? Any ideas???? Help???

#2 kali

kali

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Banned
  • 4830 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

She might never like him... You can't just throw two birds at each other and expect them to mate. you might have to try a couple of females until you find a good pair.

Posted Image

#3 nestbox

nestbox

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

She's still a baby, let her grow up first. I've found that quakers are so juvenile for the first year. Let him ignore her for awhile and see if that helps.

#4 Emmilyy

Emmilyy

• Banned
  • 7517 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

I would not keep two birds in the same cage if they do not get along like that, you shouldnt have just put them in the same cage in the first place! Seperate them, and go slowly, letting them get used to each other first before you plop them in the same cages! They may never like each other, and if thats the case its not fair to make them live together at all.
Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Neophyte - shut up. You know nothing about the things which you are talking about.

- FreedomOfFlight

#5 becsta81

becsta81

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, maybe it is her imaturity keeping them apart. I don't have them in the same cage, i have seperate cages for them. Its when they are out of their cages she runs for him.

#6 Emmilyy

Emmilyy

• Banned
  • 7517 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

Oh okay. Supervise them carefully, then.. It could be that she's young - but again, it could be they'll never get along. No two birds can ever be guaranteed to get along and you'll just have to deal with it if they never do .
Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Neophyte - shut up. You know nothing about the things which you are talking about.

- FreedomOfFlight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users