• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 champagne4amy

champagne4amy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

My baby Rosey Bourke's is quickly becoming my favorite bird. He is so sweet and actually very active. I must have a strange one because from what I have read they are not supposed to do much. Mine is always running around and biting stuff and just being inquisitive. He is always so happy to see me and paces back and forth in his cage until I get him out. I can't wait to see what he will looks like once he fills out. He is about 12-13 weeks old right now. So post your pics of Bourke's because you don't get to see too many of these guys!! Here are some pics that just took today of my little one.

Oh, and I named him Stig after the driver on the show Top Gear. If anyone watches the show they will know what I am talking about. :icon_biggrin:
Chaos - White Bellied Caique
Julio - Sun Conure
Shake - Quaker
Jose - Cinnamon GCC
Pickles - Turquoise IRN
Cabo and Mini- The Parrotlets
Little Dude and Pita - The Budgies
Limey - Green Lineolated Parakeet
3 Rosey Bourke's Parakeets and Ricky Bobby -Diamond Dove

#2 Rahni

Rahni

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Probation
  • 1729 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

Wow he is very cute! And yes I am a fellow Top Gear fan!

#3 proviewsg

proviewsg

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:22 AM

Stig looks really cute! Is Stig a handfed bourke? I guess your breeder must have done an excellent job in bringing him up, that's probably the reason he's sweet and active unlike many :D I've always been thinking whether to get a bourke parakeet, I love their natural sweet deposition.

In fact few weeks back, I saw an adult rosy at the local bird store. I was told by the store owner, that the adult wasn't a handfed one, is flighty and doesn't response well to step-up commands. But the adult rosy was really lovely and beautiful (we hardly get to see bourkes in my area as there aren't many breeders ard), I was hesitating whether to bring him home :P
Posted Image
Follow Kacy on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bryansangels
Join Kacy on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bryansangels

#4 champagne4amy

champagne4amy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:48 AM

Yes, he was handfed and I actually got to feed him a few times myself. The breeder that I got him raises wonderful birds. I agree the Bourke's are sooo beautiful. I can't wait for Stig to get all of his adult colors. He is such a sweet boy and has a really funny personality. I will try to post more pics as he gets older.
Julio - Sun Conure
Shake - Quaker
Jose - Cinnamon GCC
Pickles - Turquoise IRN

#5 xLindsey

xLindsey

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:23 AM

Any updates? :)

#6 champagne4amy

champagne4amy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:40 AM

Sorry that I haven't posted anything in awhile. I have been super busy lately. Here are some updated pics of Stig. He still isn't as big as his clutch mates are right now. Maybe he is a runt or he is a she. LOL! I might have a DNA test done on him to make sure. Anyway, he is still full of personality. He loves to pace back and forth in his cage until I get him out. He loves to play with balls that have bells in them. He doesn't really like being petted but loves to be kissed. He is content to just sit on my shoulder. Really a sweet bird. He makes the cutest little "cheap, cheap" sounds. :)
Julio - Sun Conure
Shake - Quaker
Jose - Cinnamon GCC
Pickles - Turquoise IRN

#7 champagne4amy

champagne4amy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

Here are a couple more pics. I ended up buying the other 2 siblings of Stig. They have been at the bird store since July and everytime I went there they would just come running to see me. They are just the sweetest birds. They were a bit scared at first when I brough them home but after about a week they are really starting to get comfortable. They LOVE millet!! LOL! The first pic is Stig. He is still Mommy's favorite. :)
Julio - Sun Conure
Shake - Quaker
Jose - Cinnamon GCC
Pickles - Turquoise IRN

#8 macawpower58

macawpower58

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:32 AM

I've never seen a Bourke before. What a differently colored bird. I gather that is juvenile coloring? What does an adult look like?

Becky.....Where Fur and Feather Meet.

Posted Image

My Albums

#9 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:13 AM

Becky, for the most part, bourkes are born with their adult colorations. Sure, males may attain even deeper/brighter colors, but for the most part, they dont change much. The ones pictured above are rosy bourkes, which is the equivalent of the opaline mutation, if I recall correctly. They are harder to sex than the normals, and its from my understanding that their colorations dont change much, if any, although having no experience with bourke mutations myself I can't verify this.

My own bourkes that I've had/have, have not been as brightly colored, being only normals themselves, but the colors are still gorgeous, regardless.

Old pics... first are two females, sisters (I only have one bourke now, the second hen - she's estimated to be 14-16 years old now)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a brother and sister (first hen from above). The male has more coloration, and the main thing he's missing is the bright blue band that goes across the forehead right above the cere/nostrils.... which you can actually see that it's starting to come in. His sister had an usually blue stomach (well, more so than normal, but not quite abnormal either). The only thing to expect from a maturing male is deeper, more vibrant colors than what he's already got. I don't know if you can tell from the images or not (since the hen is standing up straighter) but the male is actually larger, another trait between sexes in the normals - but not rosy's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#10 macawpower58

macawpower58

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:17 AM

Thanks Monica. They gorgeous little birds, even the normals you have are striking.

Becky.....Where Fur and Feather Meet.

Posted Image

My Albums

#11 champagne4amy

champagne4amy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

Yes, thank you Monica! Great info on your Bourke's. The pics of your normals are just beautiful.
Julio - Sun Conure
Shake - Quaker
Jose - Cinnamon GCC
Pickles - Turquoise IRN

#12 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Welcome! And uh... any more updates on those lovelies? What about a video? I'd be interesting in hearing what sexes they turn out to be, and what, if any, size differences there are between your guys, champagne! If I could, I'd have an aviary full of rainbow bourkes! :lol:

Posted Image

#13 champagne4amy

champagne4amy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:31 AM

Not much to update. I just got the 2 siblings last Monday and they are settling in well. Since they sat at the bird store for quite some time they are not too keen on stepping up. They are not fearful of me or anything but are just a bit stubborn or unsure about the whole stepping up thing. Like Stig they were handfed but just not handled much after the fact. I got Stig right at weaning so he learned to set up within a few days. I'm trying not to be too pushy with them but it's sooo hard when all I want to do is touch them. LOL! I probably won't get them DNA'd for another couple months. It is very cold here now and I hate to take them out if I don't have to. I will definitely post when I do find out their sexes and will also let you know about their sizes.

I agree, I would just love to have an aviary full Bourke's! They are just some of the coolest little birds.
Julio - Sun Conure
Shake - Quaker
Jose - Cinnamon GCC
Pickles - Turquoise IRN

#14 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Zoogen allows you do to avian sexing right "at home" - that is, pluck a few feathers or get a bit of blood and send it in to them. I have heard that they are more accurate than another well-known company, and Zoogen is the place my a-vet uses.

Sounds like the little pink gang is still settling in though. Perhaps they'll be feeling more comfortable once they get used to all the changes!

Posted Image

#15 isma945

isma945

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:14 AM

Here are some of my breeders/babies as well as my hand fed rubino female.

#16 champagne4amy

champagne4amy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

Awww....the pic of the baby is just too cute! Your birds are so pretty. I love Rubinos.
Julio - Sun Conure
Shake - Quaker
Jose - Cinnamon GCC
Pickles - Turquoise IRN

#17 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Isma, those are some amazing rubinos! They have lovely color!

Posted Image

#18 isma945

isma945

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

Thank you. so are your bourkes.

#19 Deb M

Deb M

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:14 AM

Hi, been gone awhile from the forums and just saw your post. Great pics!
My Rosy (Rosey bourke's) Hatched March 11, 2010, she was hand tamed/fed by a wonderful breeder. She also is very active, is not at all what I heard bourke's to be when it comes to singing in the morning and evening. She sings when she is happy which is most of the day if she is near me, my son or Jaed our newest baby (GCC baby). Her singing is so soft you can barely hear it, but it is beautiful. (maybe because I can barely whistle and used to whistle to her).
She does get very energetic in the morning until she is out for her flight time, and in the evening before bed. She is just as sweet now at 10 months as she was when I brought her home.

Here is an older link to a youtube video of her helping make a toy, she can spend hours playing in the beads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjmzGcfXVk0

Here is a new pic of her, she is singing in this pic which is why she is all fluffed up. (pic did not work so here is a link to it) Rosy Singing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hopefully I put the video and pic in right, never know with me.

Edited by Deb M, 13 January 2011 - 02:16 AM.
pic did not work

:wub:Posted Image:wub:

:i.roz:Rosy 3-11-2010
Hali Rescued 4-15-2010 -8-2-2011 RIP sweet one
Sky Blue 2-2010-to a new home with other parakeets
:greencheek:Jaed 9-17-2010
Ollie and Fuzzy Crazy Quakers 6-5-2011

#20 amanda143

amanda143

Blessed by Birds

• Members
  • 1185 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:28 AM

Cute video Deb! They are the cutest birds when hand fed. They are my absolute favorite birds of all time.
Isma, I love those rubino's! I always wanted to breed those but they were sooo expensive when I was doing it. I have an opportunity to get a rubino for $100 here in BC but I just got two cockatiels and don't want to get back into breeding at this time. I'm really kicking myself. LMAO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users