• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnni Gade

Johnni Gade

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Is it really possible to breed these two? I've heard so, but I am puzzled how the female for instance, can handle the weight of an Alexandrine male and vice verca?
African Greys: Thor & Luna

#2 Johnni Gade

Johnni Gade

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

anyone? :)
African Greys: Thor & Luna

#3 Kathy

Kathy

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:10 AM

Not ignoring you- just don't know!
:dance:
IRN - Tawheed (trns. Worships only God)
Budgie- Baz Ureed (trns. Falcon Wannabe)

#4 christie99

christie99

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

I believe there are hybrids out there, but it wouldn't be reccomended. Hybrids can come with their own set of problems including health issues.

Why are you wondering?

ETA:

Here is some info on hybrids:
http://home.wanadoo....bridization.htm

http://www.indianrin...om/alexandrine/

Alexandrines Mutations

Alexandrines do not come in real mutations. The current ones available in the market blue, yellow, lutino, and clear tails have been hybrid with Indian Ringnecks. They are the result of many generations of careful breeding to produce the current birds on the market. These created mutations remain a controversial subject as many breeders believe doing so taints the bloodline of the true Alexandrine. Others argue that many popular aviary birds such canaries, doves, and finches have undergone some type of hybridization. Many will take the argument a step further and insist it's no big deal--especially because all our dogs are the result hybridization.

#5 Chicklette

Chicklette

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2528 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

^^ Agree, hybrids can have a bunch of health problems. I would not breed them.

#6 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:03 AM

Johni, not all birds mate in the fashion of the male on top of the female. Some species, particularly the medium to larger species, they mate side-by-side. I do believe that ringnecks mate in this manner, so there would be no issue with a hen having to support a males weight.

Are there indian x alexandrine hybrids? Yes. It does not matter which species is which sex, however it's most often male indian ringnecks with sex-linked mutations paired with female alexandrines to most quickly pass on the mutation to the offspring. Here's an article about alexandrine mutations in Australia.

Mutations In The Alexandrine Parrot
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users