Photo
- - - - -

Bird Related Terms & Lists Needed - Check It out and Help Us Out.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kevin

Kevin

BB Admin / Owner

• Administrators
  • 8422 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:12 AM

So let me explain it a little more so everyone can better help us with this little side project we
are planning on working on in the coming week or two ahead.

What we need is for members to come up with various themed lists of bird related terms and lists for example:

Theme: Macaws

Hyacinth Macaw
Lear's Macaw
Spix's Macaw
Blue And Gold Macaw
Blue Throated Macaw
Military Macaw
Buffon's Macaw
Scarlet Macaw
Green Winged Macaw
Red-fronted Macaw
Severe Macaw
Red-bellied Macaw
Blue Headed Macaw
Illiger's Macaw
Golden Collared Macaw
Hahn's Macaw

another example:

Bird Food:
Fruit
vegetable
rice
pasta
pellets
Zupreem
Roudybush
Harrisons
Higgins
Mazuri
Kaytee
PrettyBird
Goldenfeast
Browns
TotallyOrganics
Lafeber
Avicakes
Nutriberries
sprouted seed

and 1 more:

Species list...

Amazon
Budgerigar
Caique
Cockatiel
Cockatoo
Congo African Grey
Conure
Eclectus
Galah
Kea
Lorikeet
Lory
Lovebird
Macaw
Parrotlet
Pionus
Poicephalus
Quaker
Rosella

Themes or category of terms can be anything, specific terms, types of bird items, bird lingo, anything bird related that bird owners would find interesting and or fun...

We will take as many of these lists and get them processed into some useful tools and resources for everyone.

#2 spensergirl

spensergirl

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

I am not sure if this is what you are seeking - but recently I did a great deal of research on some of the foods you mentioned.

I am only posting what I found, not advising who should choose what

Nutriberries: Unlike some people think, they are a complete daily food and if you contact Lafeber, who was by far the most interactive of all the food companies, they will answer any question. Their website is very detailed also. It is run by avian vets and they do manufacture their own food in their own plant.

Harrison's: They were also very nice and sent samples. The only downside I found is that while Lafeber has "natural preservatives" Harrison's has none, so if the bird does not eat the food right away, there is a great deal of waste as you can not let it stay in the cage very long.

Roudybush: They were the least cooperative. I asked why they still have exoteryn (spelling) in their food and I had heard from many it was not safe and Lafeber and Harrison's had removed it, along with Zupreem. They just said "they fed it to all their birds and their was no issue".

Zupreem: I found them not easy to work with, I had issues many times with not only no fruit smell on certain bags, but on those bags a strange smell of almost mold like. Zupreem denied it and later admitted that the place that makes their food had "forgotten to put" the smell on some lots but birds can't smell so it did not matter. I said well they can taste, so how does my bird know the difference. The manager at my pet store said she felt on certain bags they might be bagging them out of the excruder while still damp. I don't know, I am sure they are fine - this is just info I found, for what it is worth.

Also, my vet said be careful of paper towel holders (paper when towels run out) or tissue rolls when tissue runs out as bird toys as the glue used in them often contains either zinc or lead. I know many people use them with no issue, but just passing this on. Also you can do a magnet test on metal toys in our birds cages and if the stick to magnet, they have lead or something in them not good for the bird.

This may not be what you were seeking, but if it helps anyone, that is great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users