• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 christie99

christie99

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

Well, since I'm pregnant, I didn't want to breed this year. I had my finches together in a flight, (2 males, 1 female) and they showed me. About 1 1/2 weeks ago or so, I got up and went out to feed the flock. The finches had one egg laid on the bottom of the cage. *sigh*

So I spent the day setting up the breeding cage, nestbox, dry suppliments, water feeder, and seed feeder. Then I put the finches in with the egg in the nestbox.

We are at 8 fertile eggs now. I purchased my closed bands through NFSS, so I'm ready for them to hatch.

Next time I'm following my advice I give to everyone else, seperate the hens and cocks if you don't want to breed! lol

#2 christie99

christie99

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Well, the first egg laid stopped developing early on. The other 7 hatched yesterday. Now comes the touchy time of guessing if the adults will feed them!

#3 kitkatoys

kitkatoys

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:23 AM

my newly weaned gouldies
Posted Image

#4 carlademming

carlademming

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

Well, since I'm pregnant, I didn't want to breed this year. I had my finches together in a flight, (2 males, 1 female) and they showed me. About 1 1/2 weeks ago or so, I got up and went out to feed the flock. The finches had one egg laid on the bottom of the cage. *sigh*

So I spent the day setting up the breeding cage, nestbox, dry suppliments, water feeder, and seed feeder. Then I put the finches in with the egg in the nestbox.

We are at 8 fertile eggs now. I purchased my closed bands through NFSS, so I'm ready for them to hatch.

Next time I'm following my advice I give to everyone else, seperate the hens and cocks if you don't want to breed! lol

That's right. I do believe they should as well be separated if you do not intend to breed them. Although finches are known to be of the sociable type having them as just pets will require having a companion of the same kind ( either both females or males).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users